Friday, June 15, 2018

The Tate Britain: Redefining Art

Before coming on the London Rocks program, I never really took an interest in art. Being "artsy" just never cliqued with me, no matter how hard I tried to appreciate or even create a work of art. It was a concept that never truly fascinated me until I visited the Tate Britain.
After a short boat ride across the Thames river, our London Rocks cohort headed into the vast museum. I wasn’t extremely excited for this Cinetrek as I thought it’d be just like all the other art galleries we had been to. Granted, this Tate featured a wider variety of British art compared to its distant cousin the Tate Modern just a short tube ride away. On a surface level, this Tate seemed like a regular art museum – beautiful, but nothing that I thought would leave a lasting impression on me; little did I know the impact that these few pieces of art would leave on me in the next hour of our time there.
Artists Sketching Paintings in the Museum
Perusing the halls of the Tate, I admired the numerous artists sketching the paintings in front of them, redefining the phrase “life imitates art” as these individuals imitated the classic pieces lining the walls. Numbers on the ground signified the years that these galleries dated back to, some as early as the 1500’s! As we approached the entrance to the Freud/Bacon exhibit (tickets in hand as this part of the museum required a fee to get in), I wondered what could be so different inside those walls compared to its free counterparts. Not knowing much about Freud and Bacon’s work didn’t give me much to expect prior to entering the exhibit; maybe it benefitted me that I came in with a clean slate, allowing myself to soak up the environment and then draw my own conclusions about their pieces.
Bacon's Art
Eagerly yet cautiously stepping foot into the gallery, I’m met with some paintings that immediately catch my eye. Bacon’s Study for Portrait II (after the Life Mask of William Blake)exudes despair and discontentment, begging the question of who this man is. Sure, it’s most likely William Blake, the subject for Bacon’s study, yet I wonder who Mr. Blake reallyis. Why is appearing depressed? Did someone wrong him? Is he just down in the dumps? The gloomy shades Bacon picked add to the sadness factor; the blues and grays swirling together over a black background present a stormy outlook for both the subject and the viewer. It’s almost as if you can picture William Blake’s dim future, as if there is no escape from the perils that plague him.
Uglow's Georgia
Moving forward through the exhibit, I’m met with a plethora of paintings that lure me into the stories they’re attempting to tell. There’s so much detail in each piece; some of them took years just to be finished! One of those is Euan Uglow’s Georgia, a colorful canvas that took five years to complete. There’s a stark contrast between Georgiaand Bacon’s work. Georgiaimitates life in this case as she poses for Uglow, relaxed on a couch, possibly pondering some existential question or deep thought. Her stoic demeanor doesn’t reveal much about herself, leaving the viewer to question her intentions as she poses in a semi-sheer dress for Uglow. When comparing this to Bacon’s work, the extremities are astounding. One piece is a cry for help – a stressful panting full of hopelessness and depression; the other is peacefully laid back – not pressed for time, relaxed, almost like a breath of fresh air. The light colors are refreshing, right down to the floral pattern on the couch, white dress and Georgia’s pale skin.
Exiting the exhibit, I can’t help but feel that something’s changed inside me. Just a half an hour ago, I had no particular interest in or care for art. After taking the proper amount of time at each painting and admiring all the attention to detail in each one, I can honestly say that I’ve gained a greater appreciation for art after this excursion. I had always been predisposed to thinking that I’d be bored or un-amused at museums, but The Tate Britain redefined my worldview toward art, sparking and resurfacing my creative interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment