Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Harry Potter: The boy who lived... lives on

My Harry Potter Journey
Deathly Hallows book release, 2007
Deathly Hallows Part II midnight premiere, 2011
Halloween, 2016
Platform 9 3/4, 2018
Over the last 20 years, Harry Potter has captivated the hearts of children and adults alike, resulting in a massive imprint on pop and cinematic culture. I was first introduced to Harry Potter in 2003 when I was given my first DVD, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. From that moment on I fell deeply in love with the Harry Potter series. I devoured every book, was first in line at every movie premiere and got my hands on all the Harry Potter memorabilia I could find. Like many other fans, I was instantaneously enthralled by the magicality of this fictional world because it gave me an escape from real life.

Hidden along the outskirts of London, the Harry Potter Studio Tour provides fans like myself the opportunity to immerse ourselves into the cinematic world of Harry Potter. Being such a big fan, I was worried the tour would spoil the magic behind the series. However, upon entering the Great Hall, my worries were washed away by an overwhelming sense of happiness and familiarity, as it felt as if I had just arrived back home after a long journey.



"Sherbet Lemon"





Magical, marvelous, and meticulous. These three words perfectly describe the grandeur of the different sets and props within the studio. As I explored each section of the tour, I was amazed at the amount of detail and effort put into every nook and cranny in order to help bring the magical essence of Harry Potter to life. There were a few sets that peaked my interest. Some for sentimental reasons, others for the immense attention to detail and intricacy. The first set was the Burrow, home to my favorite family, the Weasleys. I particularly enjoyed this set because it was a fully interactive experience, as you were able to manipulate objects with the movement of your hand. A few steps away from the Burrow was the Hogwarts Express, the train that transports the characters, and the studio tour visitors, into the magical wizarding world. Complete with whistle sound effects and steam, the Hogwarts Express set was truly immersive, as you were able to board the train and look at train compartments from different films. The one that caught my eye, in particular, was the compartment detailing the first encounter between Harry and Ron. Everything was intricately placed exactly as it was in the movies - from the candy strewn along the seat, Scabbers eating candy on Ron's lap, the luggage overhead, and the candy trolly parked outside the carriage. This specific attention to detail was designed as if you were just moments away from joining Harry and Ron along for the ride.

The Burrow
Hogwarts Express
Harry and Ron's first interaction on Hogwarts Express
"...He couldn't know that at this very moment, people meeting in secret all over the country were holding up their glasses and saying in hushed voices: 'To Harry Potter - the boy who lived!' -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 
This quote perfectly encapsulates the magical connection I witnessed among Harry Potter fans from all across the globe at the Harry Potter Studio Tour. I realized that the true magic behind these films is not within the sets, details, and special effects, it is the relationship between people of all ages and nationalities and the wizarding world.


The immersive nature of the Harry Potter Studio Tour creates a global melting pot, as it allows fans from all over the world to share a mutual bond and admiration over the cinematic world of Harry Potter, which at its core is very true to the message of Harry Potter.


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment