Saturday, June 2, 2018

Nostalgia on a hill

Alexis Hopper

CineTrek #4



This morning the gang headed out on the tube to Primrose hill and the Camden market. Before this I have heard about Primrose Hill and that is was definitely a sight in London to see but nothing prepared me for how absolutely breathtaking (literally) it was. The long trek up the rich green hill was well worth the short of breath. The view looks over all of the city and I could not help but feel peaceful at top that mountain. Along with the peaceful view came some much needed puppy therapy. The hill was like a doggy heaven. What I loved most was that dogs did not have to be on leashes, they were able to roam free and that in itself was a sight to see (I did not purposely try and make that rhyme). The people on the hill were doing everything from spending time with each other, reading books, playing board games and enjoying snacks. It seems like the perfect spot to unwind and relax and enjoy an stunning, beautiful view. Some halfway down the hill Professor Nericcio stopped the group to explain that him and his family go to that hill to escape and spend time together. The opportunity to have shared that special view with the class was something I will always remember from this trip. I say nostalgia not for me but the raw vulnerability Professor Nericcio let us experience with his memories on the hill.

The journey continued through a scenic route leading us to the Camden market. The route to Camden was quite and the houses were white and blue and pink. The neighborhood looked straight out of a Dr. Seuss book, it was all almost too good to be true. It was obvious this area was a family place because children, families, dogs and couples were roaming the streets and enjoying breakfast and lunch. The area soon shifted from quiet and quaint to hip, loud and delicious. I say delicious because the Camden Market has just about every single food you could possibly imagine right there at your fingertips. The market was busy with people rushing through and through talking, laughing, arguing, and most of all waiting for the delicious food. I found myself running to the nearest Mexican restaurant on the corner and sighing in relief and finally finding Mexican food after weeks without out. The restaurant did not disappoint which brings me to my second encounter with nostalgia. It must be the time of the trip where I miss my family because the taste of Mexican food instantly reminds me of my family and friends and I miss it. Yet, it is not a sad feeling but more an appreciation of the found memories I have and the new experiences I am having today.

This day made me realize even more that I am so incredibly lucky to be in the position I am in. I miss my family but they miss me and they are rooting me on all way from the other side of the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment