Tuesday, May 22, 2018

My V&A Artifact Connections

Art has always been one of my many passions. Starting at a very young age, I began creating anything and everything related to art. Little did I know back then that this passion would help me understand other artist's works in a unique way. To my surprise, the world's largest museum of decorative arts and design, The Victoria and Albert Museum, happens to be one of our neighbors here in London (yet another great thing about this place!). Upon arriving at our CineTREK and tour at the V&A, I was mesmerized by the sheer size and beauty of the main building. Eager to explore the exhibits, our group shuffled inside awaiting the guided tour.

Before our tour, I struggled to determine how I could possibly relate aspects of myself or even my interests to the enchanting masterpieces all around me. However, after the first artwork our tour guide discussed, I was able to dig deeper into what I was seeing.

The original artifact that caught my eye was actually one of the first things I saw while entering the V&A museum. As I slowly scanned the large entry room, my eyes drew up towards the ceiling in awe of the sparkling hanging glass sculpture. But, it wasn't the actual sculpture itself that drew me in, it was the deja vu feeling I got when I looked at it. Once our guide stated the artist of the bright blue and green glass piece, the feeling I had made sense. The article was created by Dale Chihuly, a famous glass sculptor from Tacoma, Washington. Now, this probably doesn't mean much to a Californian native, but since I grew up in Bellevue, Washington, I remembered staring at a similar piece by Chihuly in the Lincoln Square. As a young girl and avid art lover, I remember wondering how a creation like Chihuly's could be thought of, let alone created. Today, my thought process remains the same!

The abstract masterpiece created of 2,000 separate parts was able to take me back to my youth where I was equally transfixed with such glass work. This sculpture brought my attention back to one of my personal passions, art, that I had started to forget due to the hustle and bustle of college and life in general.

The second artifact that I connected with was the hanging facade from Sir Paul Pindar's house. At first glance, this giant structure did not look like much, but the story behind it connected to my major of psychology quite well. On the outside, the artifact was covered in elaborate, vulgar carvings, delicately curved glass work, and vivid colors (earlier in time). However, once I took a peek into the interior of the facade, a more simple, calm side was revealed. It was fascinating to briefly study the contrast between the bold, boastful exterior of the wall versus the plain, mellow side that only those inside Sir Paul Pindar's home would have been able to see.

As a psychology major, I have a particular interest in understanding why people do certain things. I believe Sir Paul Pindar wanted others to see him as closed off and rich. Whereas when he was alone or with loved ones, he wanted them to see him as simplistic. What I got from this piece is that all our naked eye sees a lot of the time is just the outsides of people. Peoples looks, clothing, and even attitudes can all be changed and based on what they want us to think of them. It is important to recognize what/who someone may seem to be to be may not who they truly are.

Attached below are some of my doodles and the two artifacts I discussed.







No comments:

Post a Comment