Wednesday, May 23, 2018

In the Presence of Royalty

It's six a.m., my alarm is blaring, and there's nothing I'd rather do more than sleep. Why am I up so early on a Saturday? I contemplate hitting the snooze button until I realize exactly what day it is: May 19, 2018. The Royal Wedding of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle.

I'm not one to keep up with royalty, but I've always been enchanted by the thought of the British monarchy. Even in the U.S., girls are exposed to this spectacle at a young age through watching Disney princess movies and wondering if their own prince will ever come. We fought hard to break away from this society and start a new one without kings and queens, yet Americans are still transfixed on this royal occasion. Maybe it's the media hyping us up, drawing us into all the glitz and glamour of this uncommon event in history; or, maybe it's the diversion from tradition that has all eyes fixed on this power couple. After all, a mixed-race American divorcee is marrying into the royal family, breaking years of esteemed British tradition. This is more than just a marriage; it's the union of two nations. The world is watching as Meghan and Harry bring together their heritages, redefine norms, and usher in a new era for the monarchy.

A 45-minute car ride later and some uncertainty about where exactly to go in Windsor, my four London Rocks colleagues and I hop out of our Uber and anxiously shuffle in the direction of the castle. I have no idea what to expect or even if I'll be able to catch a glimpse of the newlyweds, yet here I am, skipping alongside the farms of Windsor, the crisp, morning breeze and smell of barnyard animals flowing around me.




The Long Walk quickly approaches. We traverse our way through a security checkpoint, scramble amongst the sea of people, and stake our claim in the crowd. A perfect view of the soon-to-be happy couple lies in front of me as well as a giant monitor behind me, displaying the wedding itself happening just down the road. Before I know it, the wedding's begun. People all around me are bursting with joy, some even crying at the sight of Meghan entering the chapel. Seeing how much these Londoners care about the occasion makes me slightly envious of their united front, and I crave for my own country to appear as cohesive and supportive as them. Their chants grow louder, and thousands of British flags wave as Meghan and Harry complete their wedding and begin the procession through Windsor. As their horse-drawn carriage and seemingly endless line of red-coated soldiers gallop in front of me, all my worries fade away. I came, I saw, and I conquered this truly once-in-a-lifetime experience thousands of miles away from home.



The wedding itself is a commodity, marketing itself as a dream that only a few select people can attain. Women everywhere are jealous of Meghan and wish that they too could find their prince. We're fascinated by these "imperceptible, as well as perceptible things... [succeeding] in making itself regarded as the perceptible par excellence." (Debord) No matter how far out of reach the royals may seem to everyday citizens, our eyes are still locked on to this event and those who attend it. We know that this life will probably never be ours, yet we escape into the bliss of the occasion, tricking ourselves even for just a few minutes that we too can be royalty. You could say I'm one of the few who got to experience Debord's phenomenon unfolding before my very eyes in Windsor, and I'm forever grateful for this experience (and for not hitting the snooze button) on that crisp summer morning.





Works Cited
Debord, Guy, and Ken Knabb. The Society of the Spectacle. Bureau of Public Secrets, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment