Sunday, May 27, 2018

Bees Jive to the Bee Hive


Out of all the interesting artifacts in the Natural History Museum, the most appealing to me was the bee tree located outside in the Wildlife Garden. While walking around the garden dodging every insect that came my way, I noticed a tree stump with a door panel on it. My curiosity got the best of me, so I decided to approach this door to discover the mystery that lied inside. It came to my attention that there was a whole colony of bees living in the tree! I didn’t necessarily know that at first, but I was well informed after reading the didactic.

I contemplated whether or not to open the door due to the fact that the sign clearly stated there was a possibility of a bee flying up to me. I paced back and forth for about two-three minutes until I was able to summon up the courage to open the door. My paranoia reached an all-time high when I put my hand on the handle. Since I had already gotten this far, there was no way I was backing down. So I went for it, swung open the door, and witnessed an amazing sight.

Bee trees are modern day, manmade hives that help bees swarm more frequently to increase the amount of honey, beeswax, and eggs they produce. This particular bee hive consists of about 10,000-50,000 bees. The population of bees within the tree is dependent on “temperature and the seasonal patterns of flowers” (Bee Season). Bee trees are able to withstand extreme temperature changes more efficiently than the standard beehive.  





This particular bee tree has a colony of honey bees. Only a special kind of honey bee is able to live in a bee tree. Trees provide nectar and pollen that is essential for the survival of these little critters. With the nectar from the tree, they are able to produce honey. An individual bee can visit between 50-100 flowers in a single trip and are able to source nectar as far as five kilometers away. Once the bees find a good source of nectar, they tell the bees back at the hive by communicating with each other though “dances, vibrations, and body chemical signals” called a waggle dance (How Bees Communicate).

Bees pollenate while traveling from plant to plant. By transferring pollen, they are able to help plants reproduce and create a healthier habitat for both wildlife and themselves. There are more than 3,310 species in the Wildlife Garden at the Natural History Museum. The honey bees in the bee hive contribute to the health of these plants.

Overall, I found this bee tree vastly interesting to learn about. Although it took me quite some time to actually open the door to the bee tree hive, it was surely worth viewing. I not only overcame an obstacle of fear, but I was able to witness an extraordinary sight of bees at work.

http://www.beeculture.com/bees-in-trees/

No comments:

Post a Comment